We are looking for a talented Lead Character Artist to lead a team of experienced character artists, and create high quality 3D characters for an unannounced project. It is a multiplayer, third-person game with a contemporary setting and realistic art style.
A successful candidate will be a skilled and motivated lead character artist with both managerial experience and creative vision, able to direct a team of talented artists capable of producing stunning and lifelike 3D characters for a multiplayer game.
Candidates local to Ontario, Canada are preferred, but this is not a requirement.
NOTE: For the foreseeable future, all positions at Tactic Studios will be performed remotely, working from home. We are flexible to accommodate the unique needs you may have to ensure a productive, healthy work environment under the present circumstances.
- Manage a team of character artists, assigning tasks, reviewing work, and providing clear, fair, and honest feedback to support the vision of the game.
- Provide leadership and mentoring to art staff, fostering a productive team capable of meeting deadlines and achieving artistic goals.
- Act as a leading member of the art team to develop a stunning and immersive visual experience.
- Create realistic high and low polygon 3D characters including facial features and accurately proportioned bodies.
- Create UVMaps, textures, and materials for characters following a PBR pipeline.
- Create clothing variations and accessories for characters.
- Build morph targets / blend shapes to support facial expressions.
- Modify and optimize characters based on artistic feedback, animation needs, or technical limitations.
- Prior experience as a lead character artist on a successful modern 3D game.
- Experience hiring, interviewing, forming and managing a highly functional art team.
- Expertise sculpting in Zbrush.
- Expertise modeling high and low polygon 3D models using 3DS Max or Maya.
- Expertise creating textures using a physically based materials system such as Substance painter and designer.
- Ability to create realistic hair models and textures that are optimized for video games.
- Experience modeling clothing using tools such as Marvelous Designer.
- Understand technical performance and memory considerations and are committed to creating efficient meshes and textures.
- Motivated self-starter with exceptional creativity and strong communication skills.
- Passionate about developing high quality video games.
How to Apply
- Experience with a modern 3D game engine such as Unreal Engine or Unity.
- Ability to create 2D illustrations and concepts for characters.
- Experience with 3D animation and rigging.
You will need to provide:
Send the aforementioned items either by link or as an attachment to email@example.com, subject "Lead Character Artist".
- Portfolio demonstrating high-poly and low-poly characters and textures that you have created. (required)
- Resume detailing your experience. (required)
- Cover letter. (preferred)
- References. (preferred)